Building "Disney-like" slime effects like the Alien Encounter portion of the Great Movie Ride is really quite simple. All
you need you can find at any supermarket and hardware store.
Note: Since this project uses glue, young children should
be monitored by adults when trying this project.
- PVA glue
- Food coloring (optional)
- Desolve 5 teaspoons of borax in a cup of water.
- Fill a secound up half full with white PVA glue.
- Add two teaspoons of the borax solution and begin strirring. Immediately, the PVA begins to thicken.
- Add green or some other color of food coloring for effect (Optional)
- Add more of the borax solution, a teaspoon at a time, until the slime gets good and thick. You shouldn't need more than six or seven teaspoons of the borax solution total.
- Wash the slime under running water until the excess glue is gone and the slime is no longer sticky to touch.
- Now you can bounce it, stretch it, squidge it though your fingers or just watch it ooze away. Wonderful stuff this slime, isn't it?
Did you know that the supermarket plastic bags that you carry your groceries home is is really slime? That's right, its low-density polyethylene or LDPE. One of the slimiest compounds around!
You can also make a more drippy kind of slime mixing Glycerol and water.
Backyard Imagineer: TR Shaw
Where to next?
For Web page problems contact email@example.com
Web page ©1995-2009 by T.R. Shaw. All rights Reserved,
USA and Worldwide